Thursday, April 20, 2006

For A Good Cause

My son brought home a pledge form last week for the Jump Rope For Heart at his school. I remember doing the same when I was in Elementary School. Basically, each division has all the kids in it jumping rope for as long as they can (though there is a time limit). It's to raise money for the Heart and Stroke Foundation and the kids have to collect pledges and they can win prizes. Only this particular one has a lot of meaning to my family. My dad had a stroke just over 3 years ago. He was only 55 years old at the time and it came to us as such a shock and a real eye-opener for everyone in my family.

My Grandmother, just 2 years before, suffered a severe stroke as well, which resulted in her having to live in a convolescent home where she eventually passed away. Again, that one came as such a complete shock to my family and was absolutely devastating.
A couple years ago, my now ex, his mother, a 4-year-old Evan and I drove down to California for vacation. While we were down there, my parents were down in Ventura visiting with my Grandmother and dealing with some of her estate stuff, getting ready to sell her house. My parents took me to visit my grandma at the home she was living in and then later that same day we ALL went back for one last visit. When we were in her room, she showed signs of recognizing all of us, including my mother-in-law whom she had only met a couple of times before. Then my dad said it was time for all of us to leave so she could rest. I was the last to leave the room, it was so hard. She couldn't really talk, she just sort of mumbled, but I finally said bye and gave her a kiss and hug. And I walked out of that room without turning back. It was so hard, but had I turned around it would've just been so much harder to leave. As I went out into the hall, I turned from the doorway and just leaned against the wall and started to sob - I could hear her nail clicking on the tray that was over her bed (I think she had just eaten her dinner) and I knew she was trying to get my attention so I would come back and not leave. It was so horrible - I think I've only ever told Adam that story because I can't even think about it without crying. That was the last time I ever saw her.
I'm not asking anyone for pledges, but if you feel that this is something you would like to make a donation to, give me a call or send me an email. The form has to be in by Tuesday, April 25th but even if I can't get the money from you by then, I can put it in myself and fill it out for you and I'll collect it from you later.

No comments: