Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Welcome to The Ghetto

Last weekend we had new neighbours move in next door. We hadn't really met them - they were busy moving, we didn't want to bug them (yet!). Until tonight.
Dumbass (my new name du jour for little kitty Dante), decided to explore their roof. And not be able to descend. Hence his new name.
Adam and I tried calling, using our little stepladder to coax Dumbass down. To no avail. So Adam said he'd knock on the door, introduce himself and ask if he could go to their upstairs to try to call Dumbass to the window. Didn't work, Dumbass decided he'd get more scared and crawl further up into a corner of the roof, away from the window.
So, I then asked our nice, friendly new neighbour Sammy if he had a ladder. He said yes. I put on my brave face and said "Ok, I'll go get him". I HATE heights.
I shakily climb up the ladder onto slanted roof (with nice, strong clay tiles....that I can hear moving beneath my feet). Did I mention I'm wearing crappy little slip-on moccasin-type shoes? I grab Dumbass, who is also shaking, queitly crying, and suddenly VERY clingy. And now I have to climb down the ladder with him? Are you kidding? Adam, barefoot and all, climbs halfway up and, a few scratches later, I manage to pry Dumbass's claws out of my back AND my front at the same time and hand him down.
I'm calling the vet tomorrow to book Dumbass in for his "operation" in hopes it will calm him down.
I must now go apply antibiotic ointment to my wounds.
Oh, and I'll order some flowers and have them sent to my nice new neighbours as well.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sending them flowers? A little excessive. Tell Adam to steal (did I say that? I meant pick up) some little Safeway cake and hand that over as a thank you.

Funny story, though brave girl.

Take the boy for his 'surgery' already. Did you see the comment I left on my own blog about how Kemah'd already been in heat when she had her 'surgery'? WTF? I always thought that it was only boys who settled down afterward, but K's somewhat more subdued than usual. Of course, it doesn't work miracles, but, it has helped.

What I think is funny is that now, when she gets in trouble, I hiss 'Kemah!' at her and she runs, flings open the cage to her kennel and hides inside. What can I do with that? She's already assumed the worst punishment I can give her! That cat has outsmarted me! WTF?

Anonymous said...

Me again.

Dante is so cute. Despite the whole dickface thing. (I didn't really buy it before, but it's true!) Maybe that's more endearing.

I just gotta ask... you're afraid of heights (did I know that?): why did YOU have to go up the ladder? (That was very brave!) Why not Adam? Was he too busy pondering Cheesies? (Tee hee.)

So, is that the house that looked empty before? The one closer to... Riverview, I guess?

Miss Kelly said...

Hmm...good idea, maybe I'll do the cake thing instead. They have kids, so that'll go over well. And yeah, that's the house. We're the only two that have that clay tile roof. I told my boss today and he asked me if I broke any tiles. Jerk.
Hilarious about how she runs to the kennel - it's like a kid running to their room knowing they'll be sent there anyway. I can't belive a cat would do that!
I am SO afraid of heights. I'm very quiet on balcony's and even on the Space Needle. I went up because Adam had this brilliant idea to use the broom to scare kitty off the roof so now the little furball was sooo afraid of him. I'm more the Mom to them. Besides, I had shoes on. And I'm sure I would've gotten a "he's YOUR cat!" had I asked him to do it.

Miss Kelly said...

Oh, and there's more to the title than what I've let on. Future post, stay tuned! (Let's just say it has to do with Broadzilla)

Anonymous said...

Oh jesus. Come on, girl. Let's hear it!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kelly! My cat could have stayed there forever for all I cared, no chance you would catch me on a ladder!! I'm still waiting for Bandit to make his way out from behind the hot water tank. I gave up and finally put his food done there, otherwise he might never come out!!! I have a new neighbour story too. Somebody here in the cul-de sac has an escape artist for a dog and as I was putting the kids in the car on Tues, he decided he was going for a car ride with me and jumped into the passenger seat. Which would have been fine, except I had the Sunfire and the dog was tooooo big, I never would have been able to see out the window! So am I the nice neighbour for prying the dog out of my car and returning him home? Where is my cake!!!!!

Gingers Mom said...

What a nice neighbor you are. They owe you cake for trapping your unsuspecting cat on their roof. Of course, I am under the belief system that anyone I meet owes me cake.

Miss Kelly said...

Funny story Dianne - is he that cute German Shepherd I saw when I was helping you guys last week? He seems like a sweet fella. I bet the kids were howling when he jumped in.