Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Staples Says It Best

I know it's still summer, but if you're like me, the greatest time of the year is fast approaching. No, not the back-to-school stuff - are you kidding? I'm a working mom. The summer doesn't change anything for people like me. Either way, the kids are still up early and carted off to daycare. The only difference is that I don't have to conjur up new lunch ideas at 6:00 in the morning. Believe me, that's no fun. I have picky eaters - one who will only eat peanut butter sandwiches, and one who won't eat them at all.
And no, Adam and/or Rigby, I'm not talking about the NFL season. Although the upcoming trip to Seattle and my very first NFL game is exciting for me.
It's Autumn itself. The whole season. I love it. The smell, the colours, the crisp, cool air...all of it. And its no secret that I love clothes and shopping (ask Adam - he'll tell you) and the Fall just has all the best of everything.
Every year, basically since Evan was born, my Mom and I take a little day trip down to Bellingham, Washington and do some shopping. We usually go absolutely nuts in Target. They have the BEST Hallowe'en decorations and costumes and accessories. I love decorating my house, but there isn't much in decorations after Christmas other than the few Valentine's Day window stick-ups (still on my front window) and maybe some Easter candles (that I just realized are still on the shelf above the TV). So by the time October 1st hits, I'm dying to start dragging out my decorations. And then, of course, buying some new ones always makes me more into it.
My other tradition is taking the kids to The Pumpkin Patch in Fort Langley. (It was a mention of the Fort by
Bex that got me on the subject). We go to Aldor Acres - a farm owned by the Anderson family - and it's an absolutely beautiful place. For any of you that went to the PNE this year and saw Peter the Great (the biggest cow ever), well Aldor is his home. We always start out going through the barn and seeing the baby pigs, usually a few calves, the horse, donkeys and my kids' favourites: the baby bunnies. You actually get to hold them and pet them, and they're just so adorable it's hard to tear the kids away. They also have some very eerie items in there. The only one I remember right now is the calf that was born stillborn and with two heads. It's in a big jar and is pretty freaky looking.
There's the honey stand where the kids learn about bees and how honey is made and you can purchase all different types of honey.
There's a petting zoo with goats, sheep, ducks, chickens and even turkeys wandering around. And don't worry if you leave the gate open and there's an escapee - there are always a couple of border collies keeping a close eye on things and they usually help you in getting the animals back in.
And of course, the best part - there's the big hayride to the fields to pick out your pumpkins. We always do that part last, because then they stop at the parking lot on the way back from the field and drop you off so you don't have to lug your pumpkin around forever.

The people that run it - the Andersons - and all the people that work there are great with all the kids and very informative. The property is huge - the pumpkin fields seem to go on forever! And if you're lucky to get a nice sunny day (the last 3 times we've gone we've been very lucky) and you can get some really great pictures of the fields and the hills behind the Anderson property.

Like I said, the kids look forward to it every year, but so do I. And you don't have to have kids to enjoy going to this place - they even have a little market to pick up apples and peppers or you can just enjoy some corn on the cob and a cool, crisp Autumn stroll around the property.

9 comments:

Bex said...

Ah, yes! The pumpkin patch! I had no idea there was one at Fort Langley. It looks like a good one! We went to a great one in Abbotsford last fall, but we'd be in to trying the Fort one this year!

Strangely I usually love summer but I'm getting sick of it already and am looking forward to the fall and Halloween! I've been asking the kids what they want to be and planning their costumes!

Anonymous said...

Okay...how much did the Anderson's pay you? You just about have me convinced to go!

Mz.Elle said...

We used to do that when we lived on the Coast!

This year for Halloween we're going to Barkerville-the ghost town-for some fun:)

Anonymous said...

I've only been to the pumpkin patch once, but it was pretty fun. Maybe I'll tag along wiht you guys this year to see how it's done. And besides, I want to hold a bunny too!

And I love the fall. Autumn is totally where it's at. I can't wait!

Miss Kelly said...

I've been trying to convince certain members of my family to go to this one for the past 5 years. I can't seem to get them out of the Ditch, though. Maybe this post will help?
Honestly Julie, if the Andersons would let me retire in a little tent on their property, I would. Except I'd go South for the Winter, after I pick out my Christmas tree from them.

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something? What the hell does Staples have to do with this post?

Miss Kelly said...

Staples and their "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" commercials. They make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen them, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Gingers Mom said...

Oooh. I love Fall too. I am always so sad though it NEVER gets cool here. I love love love fall clothes. I want a beautiful sweater and a pair of jeans with some kick ass boots. And while I am at it I would like to be a size 6.
We do pumkin patch every year too. So fun.