Thursday, February 15, 2007

The Launch of Flat Evan

Last year, when Evan was in grade 2, his class read the story Flat Stanley. It's a neat little story about a kid who was flattened when a bulletin board fell on him. He had wanted to visit with friends in California but it was too expensive to go by plane or train. Since Stanley was so flat, his parents mailed him to see his friends.

After Evan's class read the story, they all drew their own Flat Stanley's. Of course, most of the kids drew themselves instead of Stanley. The teacher then left it up to them if they wanted to mail their Flat Stanley's to people they knew in other cities and have those people send back photos of Stanley visiting all the different places. Unfortunately, Evan didn't have his ready in time to be taken to Paris last February with his future bride, Carly (snicker). However, his travels did eventually take off in September when he was taken to New Zealand and Australia courtesy of Nan & Papa Smith. (See photo of Flat Evan hanging with his Nan at the Opera House in Sidney Harbour).

I think this is the cutest thing ever and have been contemplating a blog just for Flat Evan. What I have finally decided to do is let the little guy take off and see where he ends up. Evan and I will make up a little note with Flat Evan's story, put him in an envelope with some instructions and send him off. His first destination, of course, is San Diego, California. You know who you are.

The going-away party will have to coincide with a certain someone's birthday dinner this Saturday...which just happens to also be KRISTIN'S 30th BIRTHDAY.

3 comments:

QueenieCarly said...

That's just great! I'd have been all over this idea when I was a kid. Seriously, I'm kind of all over it now! I so wish I could have been part of it. It's too bad I couldn't... maybe one day.

So, will this mystery person in SD get him, take a photo with him and then send him back or what? Will he then be sent somewhere else there or when he gets home?

Gingers Mom said...

That is the coolest thing ever. I would be happy to participate. I don't know what I am supposed to do, but I will look forward to it.

Unknown said...

Devon got the Flat Stanley books for his birthday and we just read the first one. But it would be so cool to do what Evan's doing! Let me know how it goes!