Thursday, February 15, 2007

It's So Barren In Here There's An Echo

I've actually been a wee bit social lately and between that, a demanding job, demanding kids and American Idol auditions there has been no time to blog. Or check blogs. Or read my 126 new emails, for that matter. PLEASE - I can hardly keep up with text messages these days.

And for those of you that I don't actually talk to on a regular basis, I'll have to update you on my life changes.

Adam and I have been having a difficult time lately juggling our commutes to work and dropping off/picking up children from various schools and caregivers. We both have joint custody situations and it's difficult that we live in one suburb, my kids go to daycare and school in another (close by) and Claudia goes to school close to where her mother lives, about a half hour drive in the opposite direction. So you can understand our frustration. Adding drop-offs and pick-ups to our already long (an hour +) commutes to work makes for an extra half hour or forty-five minutes. Then by the time we get home, we're so exhausted we can barely carry on conversations with each other.

So our solution? We are going to move. He's going to move closer to his work and Claudia's school, and I will move closer to my kids' daycare and schools. It's the only way to do it and save our sanity. We are very much still together and we will still spend as much time together as we do now (we always have those days where we have no children and will happily spend the entire time together, just the two of us). There is absolutely nothing wrong in our relationship - which is what makes this so weird. A lot of people are having a hard time accepting our decision. I mean really - had we never moved in together, would that have been weird? I don't think so.

Whether or not other people can accept our decision doesn't matter to us at all. What matters is that we're happy, we both think that we are making the right decision and we both feel that our children will be better off being closer to their friends and their schools and spending less time being driven back and forth all over the place. And you never know what the future may bring us - I'm sure we'll be living together again at some point in the future.

Besides, doesn't absence make the heart grow fonder?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't talk to you for a few days and look what happens!! Good for you guys for making the choice of putting the kids first. I'm sure all will work out in the end.

Gingers Mom said...

I'm proud of you for putting the little ones first. A lot of people wouldn't do that. That must have been a hard decision to come to. Would you consider switching your kids school next year?

Anonymous said...

We've talked so extensively about this over the past six weeks that by now, you know how I feel. I support whatever decisions you guys make and respect your abilities to know what is going to work and love you regardless. I just felt like I had to comment because I didn't want you to think that I don't check in here everysingleday to see if you've posted anything.

It's all going to work out. And I can't wait until you have me and Bex over for a sleepover!

Anonymous said...

Yay! You posted again! I know the topic isn`t Yay, but what can I say. I can`t live vicariously through you if you don`t post and keep me up-to-date on what it`s like to be you!

It will all work out in the end. You`re both kidless on the same days right, so then you`ll be together. It`ll probably be harder on the kids since they won`t see Claudia very much by the sounds of things.

I think it`s very responsible of you both to have made this decision and it`s not permanent, so no worries!

And you can have another house-warming when you get to move back in together in the future!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I`m having apostrophe and quote problems with my keyboard due to the new computer and windows vista. Good thing I find figuring this stuff out fun or I would be ready to throw my computer out the window. I don`t know what you call that version of windows!

Bex said...

Wow, a few weeks of nothing and you drop a bomb!

The only reason it sounds "weird" is because in our society when you move in with someone you are expected to either break up or get married from that point on. To actually stay together and live apart after that is almost unheard of, and good for you both for making a decision that will make your lives easier.

Besides, you might have more fun in your relationship without all the boring day-to-day stuff.

And what's this I hear about a sleepover?!!

Miss Kelly said...

Oh girls - I have a few ideas already. A wine & cheese party, a martini pary, a sleep over - or maybe we can just mix them all together?

Courtney said...

It sounds like you're doing it for all the right reasons so I say to smack those nay-sayers over the head with a baseball bat. :)