Thursday, July 05, 2007

Survivor

As I sat here pondering my very first Blog Off subject, I realized that I am totally not cut out for this type of thing. I rolled this word "Survivor" around in my head until I actually started singing the Destiny's Child song out loud. I don't even like Destiny's Child.

The next thing that came to my head was the show Survivor. Yes I watch it. Yes I like it. But do I want to blog about it? Uh, not really. All I want in relation to the show is when I get voted out of the Blog Off, maybe I can be told "The tribe has spoken".

So finally, in chatting with a friend about it, I came up with the trip I took with Carly and the kids to Victoria to see the Titanic exhibit at the Royal BC Museum. What came to mind is when we were all given replica boarding passes of real passengers that were actually on the doomed ship. At the end of the tour we were given a chance to look at the list of survivors and lo and behold, I was the only one that didn't survive. The other three thought it was a hoot. Sadistic? Possibly. But is that telling me something?

I admit - I really hummed and hawed (sp?) about joining the Blog Off. What did it for me is basically that it's for a short period of time and also it's for a very good cause. Then I thought to myself, ableit briefly, that maybe I'll shape up my blog that was dying a slow death. Perhaps some people, other than my 2 or 3 regulars that only check to see if I've done anything lately, will start reading it again. And just maybe, I'll come out of this a Blog Survivor. (Cheesy? Um yeah, read my archives...)

11 comments:

QueenieCarly said...

Anything that can get you posting again... I love! You can do this and you showed it here.

For the record, I didn't think it was funny that you were "lost." That was all YOUR kids, angels that they are.

And hey, we're survivors. We got through that trip!

Anonymous said...

I'm a Survivor, ain't gonna give up or whatever that song says. Yeah, you totally got it stuck in my head.

Sketti said...

ooooohhhh! Sneaky! although you have to admit a Blog off is a great way to increase traffic! I'm hoping for the same thing as I'm new to blogging.

Here's to hopeing our Blogs "Survive"

Good luck in the Blog off!

Evey said...

the blog off is a great way to get your creative juices flowing. Although somehow I still ended up being a total slacker in between each post. Ooops!

And Carly you shouldn't laugh at people who drowned and then deny it. tsktsk. hehe!

Miss Kelly said...

For the record, I think Carly thought it was funny more or less because my children were laughing at me.
And yes, miraculously we made it across the ocean on the BC Ferry alive - now THAT'S being a survivor! (oooooh, cheap shot at BC Ferries)

Anonymous said...

Blog Survivor! That is an admirable goal! LOL Very good!

Cupcake Blonde said...

I think if this post is any indication you will come out of this a Blog Survivor.

I went to the Titanic exhibit here in Vegas and I had survived too. Sadly my husband did not. But that exercise really put things in perspective. You don't realize how many people were lost until you come face-to-face with an actual name who went through that ordeal and perhaps did not survive.

Anonymous said...

So, how old were you and where were you from?

Nathan Pralle said...

I'm absolutely the sort that has to have a "project" to complete in order to do something regularly, and with blogging, my motivations come from my readers, my comments, my experiences, and this blog-off is certainly helping! I love writing...the more things that *make* me do it, the better off I am.

The Titanic thing has always given me pause for thought, not because it was so huge (there's certainly bigger disasters) or because it was undeserved (hubris at its best, eh?), but simply because I keep envisioning myself in that situations...in the middle of the ocean, nothing but black water beneath me, and headed downwards. *shiver*

-- Nathan (PhilosYphia)

Anonymous said...

I wish your post was a bit longer... but yes, your friends were certainly having a little fun at your expense.

I live in the same town as you! Or at least, as the Titanic exhibit...

Lynn said...

nice personal observation