Thursday, July 12, 2007

Hope

espoir


I took that off my kleenex box. It's "hope" in French, for those who are not bilingual. Yes, I purchased a Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation kleenex box. Totally random, but thought I'd share it.


Once again, I received a word and mulled it over and over in my head. And all I could ask myself was "What is the first thing you think of when you see the word 'hope'?". I actually wanted to ask my children, but they weren't there. So then I thought of what the word would mean to a 4-year old and then a 9-year old - and not any kids, but mine in particular. Here's what I came up with:


Top ten things my 4-year-old daughter "hope's" for:

10) That she can to wear a dress tomorrow

9) That we're having mashed potatoes with dinner

8) That we'll go for a walk and end up at the playground later

7) That she'll get to play with Meghan - her 10-year-old friend that lives across the lane

6) That her best friend Kira will be at daycare tomorrow so they can play together all day

5) That Papa will come over and bring her chocolate

4) That she'll be allowed to sleep in my bed tonight

3) That she can wear her "flip-flops" until the end of time

2) That she'll be allowed to stay up and watch "So You Think You Can Dance" tonight

And the #1 thing that Olivia hopes for on a daily basis:

1) That Mommy is picking her up today

And for Evan:

10) That we'll be going camping soon

9) That one day, he'll go on a cruise ship

8) That the Titanic will be raised one day

7) That his buddy Cameron will like all his new Pyrate Lego

6) That he gets the Black Pearl for Christmas

5) That he gets a cool teacher for grade 4

4) That if Juneau is in Heaven, that he's with Kaine (yes, he actually did say that to me - the kid's deep)

3) That I eventually put the little TV in his room

2) That he can mow the lawn again and Papa will give him money for helping

And the #1 thing that my 9-year-old hope's for:

1) That he'll get to go to a Canucks game next season.

And my hope? That my children remain healthy and happy and keep dreaming.

12 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

That was a fantastic post. I really enjoyed reading it. Savannah has many similar hopes as Olivia.

Nathan Pralle said...

It's funny how, as we grow, our hopes and wishes thin out to a few, really important ones instead of a whole slew when we were kids.

Anonymous said...

The Canucks for real?

Anonymous said...

Man, kids really know how to keep it simple!

I totally have that Kleenex box, too. :)

cinnalily said...

My hope is that you are still coming out this way for a summer vacation! Koocanusa is a popular destination (as long as you don't mind being surrounded by Alberans, because you will be). Wasa Lake http://www.britishcolumbia.com/parks/?id=97
is the closest to me, but there are lots around. Lots! Do come!

cinnalily said...

P.S. I got so desperate for internet that finally signed up for dial-up at Dad's yesterday and when I went to try it this morning it took about 2 hours just to update AVG. I haven't evening tried "surfing" yet. I have a feeling it's going to be more comparable to floating on a surfboad with my feet turning into prunes. Can't be called surfing! I can't wait to get my own place, but there's nothing available right where I want to be.

Cupcake Blonde said...

You have an old soul in your little boy...oops, sorry, young man. I love that he thinks about the Titanic. I went through a similar phase when I was about his age and was fascinated with everything about that ship. Something that was resurrected when I saw the movie many years later and then again recently upon viewing artifacts at the show here in Vegas. He is interested in some great stuff.

Reading the list from your daughter makes me hope to be 4-years-old again. I loved it!

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwww...that was so sweet...and I don't even like kids! ;D

Very cool angle for a word I absolutely agonized over.

Evey said...

9) That we're having mashed potatoes with dinner

I love this one. The simplicity and the innocence of childhood. I wish we all kept things this simple as we grow up. Great post. It was fun to read what your kids said.

Lynn said...

I think you have a great message here.
This week has been difficult for me because everyone's posts have been so fantastic!
I think you post has the perfect perspective.

Miss H. said...

Thanks for sharing your daughters hopes...and I hope that she continues to hope...and achieve her dreams!

Anonymous said...

That was a great post.