Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas


...and when I run out of white, I'll open a bottle of red.

CHEERS

I am (almost) 30 years old and I still can not figure out what is so great about New Year's Eve. It always seems like such a big deal to celebrate a new year, but you wake up the next morning (sometimes with a wee bit of a headache) and the world is exactly the same. It's just another 1st day of the month. Big freakin' deal.

Don't get me wrong - I've been to some pretty fun New Year's parties in the past. The best was the big one - year 2000 - when I went with a big group of friends from work. We had a fabulous dinner at the revolving restaurant overlooking Coal Harbour in downtown Vancouver (of course it rained, so the view wasn't as spectacular as it could've been), then on to the Hyatt for 4 different ballrooms of drinking and dancing and then a piano bar on the rooftop suite. It was great. But I really have no desire to pay $100+ every year to do the same. I just don't care enough.

To be honest, what I look forward to more is December 30, for a certain someone's birthday. Perhaps it's because we usually don't go to sleep until 5am December 31, having had a little too much wine...I don't know.

So my plans for the big 'Eve this year? Dinner and maybe a movie with the kids. And the kicker? Last year, us adults had a fondue night, so this year it'll be chocolate fondue with the kids. Maybe I'll even add a little sparkling applejuice to be traditional. Rock on. Anyone care to join?

2 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

We used to be cool. Really. I swear. Now we are just proud if we are able to stay awake until midnight. If we do, Dan just tries to cop a feel and then we both pass out.

Miss Kelly said...

Well, hopefully you don't get pregnant...