Thursday, November 23, 2006

Deck The Halls

Crap, I haven't blogged in so long that I almost forgot how to sign in...

Thanksgiving has now come and gone - now it's time to get inundated with Christmas advertisements, music, decorations....the list goes on.

Oh, don't get me wrong - I love Christmas as much as anyone. I love to decorate, wrap gifts, send my cards, bake, watch all the great movies. I love it all! But sometimes, things seem to get way too out of hand and it bothers me.

I had a conversation with my parents tonight about it. I told them that Adam and I had discussed not buying each other anything this year, other than the piddly little stuff that we put in the other's stocking. We've discussed this, but not actually agreed on it yet, but the more I think about it, the more I like that idea. Are we just getting old?

Last night at dinner, Evan and Olivia were discussing what they are going to ask Santa for when they go visit him. At one point, as he's trying to narrow down his choices, Evan turns to me and asks "Do I ask Santa for just one thing, or can I give him a list?".

I told him that when he writes his letter to Santa, it's standard to write down three things, but when you go see him in person, ask for the one thing you want most.

He seemed satisfied with that answer.

Olivia just stared at me - I could almost see the wheels turning in her head as she silently scanned through her mental list. Then she nodded and said "Ok, Littlest Pet Shop it is".

You gotta love a kid that knows what she wants.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear what you're saying, but I do kind of disagree. I say that if you can't be excessive at Christmas, then when can you be? I'm prefectly okay with being spoiled by and spoiling those around me.

I am so behind on all my stuff (other than shopping), I seriously need to get in gear and get moving. I am so lazy.

Gingers Mom said...

That is too cute. Littlest pet shop...what is that anyway??
Dan and I rarely get each other gifts for Christmas and it makes me sad. I have started demanding that we get each other AT LEAST a few small things to open. I think the kids need to see that mom and dad care enough about each other to splurge too.

Bex said...

Olivia is so cute! I have everything bought for my kids already, and I'm with you, it's almost time to start wrapping because I'm running out of hiding spots (some stuff has been dropped off at my mom's!)

Welcome back to blogging, Kel!