Saturday, November 25, 2006

28.5 Shopping Days


With all the Christmas blogging going on, I was trying to think of any Christmas traditions that I have. Other than the usual baking and decorating. The only one I could come up with is the way I like to wrap my gifts.

First, I pick a time when I'm all alone. It works well for me that my children go to their father's every second weekend. Also, Adam works Saturday's and Claudia doesn't get here until Saturday night. Or, an even better time (since these free Saturday's are mostly spent running errands alone), in the evening after the kiddies are in bed.

Second, I pour myself a drink. Traditionally, to keep with the Christmas spirit, it's rum & eggnogg.

Third, to get even more in the mood, I throw on some Christmas music. Seriously. I love it.

Then, I flop myself on the floor, surrounded by bags of gifts (usually pre-sorted by child, so as not to get too mixed up), my big rubbermaid container of wrap, ribbons, tape, bows and tags, etc., my drink and usually my curious furry friends and get to work. I'll sit there for over an hour sometimes, depending on how many gifts I have to wrap, or how many drinks I have. And I'll do this about 3 times throughout the month of December, as I run out of hiding spots for my gifts and realize it's just safer to have them wrapped and hidden from snooping children.

Aaahh, the joy of the holidays...

3 comments:

Bex said...

I know what you mean about the rituals!

I have all my Christmas cards ready and waiting for me to fill them out, but I prefer to sit on the floor at the coffee table in the living room, lights off except the Christmas tree lights, sipping a hot chocolate, and listening to some great Christmas tunes while I write cards, so I'm waiting.

Anonymous said...

We are so alike in some ways. I do almost the exact same thing. In fact, I'm like you, Kel, in wrapping gifts and you, Bex, in writing cards. I'm so glad that we're all doing this Christmas blogging because it's really getting me excited aobut this stuff. I really needed a kick in the ass to get started on making my cards and you guys have really given it to me. Thanks!

Gingers Mom said...

Mmm...that sounds like fun. Being alone...having some liquor...oh yeah...and the presents.