Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Baby Steps

They say that the most common New Year's resolution made is: put an end to procrastinating. They also say that procrastination is the toughest habit (if it even is a habit) to break.
I personally don't make resolutions - I don't particularily enjoy saying I'm going to do something (or stop doing something) and not following through.
That said, I do admit I have a horrible habit of procrastinating. Everything. From paying bills to returning phone calls to studying for exams - I leave it ALL to the last minute (or even worse - past due). I would love to change that about myself. But how? I don't know if its a habit or just my nature.

I was thinking about it today while I was sitting at the car dealership after dropping my vehicle off for some service that it was due for. I was actually somewhat proud of myself for getting it done when it was due, rather than waiting another month, which would be my usual. So I thought to myself, since I'm feeling so on-the-ball today, I am going to start taking the steps to improve on that horrible fault of mine.
My next step? To get the ball rolling on selling my old car. So I'm going to wrap this post up and get my butt oustide and start cleaning it out and getting it looking (and smelling) all pretty to sell.
Step #3? Start studying for my final exam which is in less than a month. Tomorrow. (Baby steps, remember?).

4 comments:

Gingers Mom said...

I love procrastinating. I am a lazy ass though. I just sit around and wait until Dan gets fed up and make him do it. I ain't no fool....it's why I got married.

Anonymous said...

So, I can tell you that I am the same way when it comes to schoolwork. A little over a week when two papers are due. Do you think I've started on one of them? No. I think it makes it more interesting waiting til the very last possible second. Kudos to you for trying to turn things around! See you in April.

Bex said...

I'm like that too. I'm procrastinating right now, I'm supposed to be getting some much-needed sleep before my laser eye surgery tomorrow, but here I am, catching up on some last-minute paperwork.

I work better (and more enthusiastically) under pressure anyway.

Can't wait til I start school this fall! All-nighters, here I come!

QueenieCarly said...

I with Bex. I think procrastination brings a certain pressure that makes me work harder and better. That doesn't mean that I like scrambling at the last minute, but it is an upside. I'd like to be better organized (don't you dare laugh, Kel) and able to get things accomplished ahead of time. If you discover the secret to making that happen, let me know.