Monday, January 08, 2007

29 And Hanging On For Dear Life

This is yesterday's post...unfortunately, BLOGGER sucks and I couldn't post it.

Oh God, just one more day and I'll be {gulp} 30. Ick. Why does this hurt me so much? Are the good times over? Is this the beginning of "Cougar-dom"?
It all started in November, when I got this wonderful new job. For the first time EVER I wasn't the youngest, or part of the "younger group" in the office. What happened? There's a whole slew of 20-somethings in this place and I've just be bumped up into the "older" crowd. I don't get invited to go for beers on casual Friday's. I get invited to the retirement lunches, though. WTF?
Yeah, there's the upside. When you call in sick, no one accuses you of being hungover. No one clock-watches because I don't take extended lunches or drag my sorry ass in late every day (due to being hungover). I'm just another hard-working, frumpy old mom with pictures of her kids on her desk and Advil in her drawer. That takes advantage of being reliable and responsible by emailing her friends and blogging during office hours.
So is it all uphill from here? More birthdays, higher numbers, no more big milestones to look forward to until perhaps retirement, at which point I just have to hope I have enough RRSP's to manage to get me through.
Wish me luck...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! You got through to Blogger, huh? That's great.

Well, the day drawing to a close... only six minutes left. You're thirty now. Weldome to the club. You'll begin to notice some majorly great perks. Trust me.

Gingers Mom said...

Well...you have succeeded in COMPLETELY freaking me out. I was blissfully unaware...or blocking out...the fact that we are getting older. Way to go, getting old on me. Crap. I'm next.

Rae said...

it'll be me next year so I get how you're feeling. It's great when you get the "you're 29? you look way younger." what like I'm old???? ack....

Bex said...

I loved your descriptions of the changes you've noticed! Hahaha!!

The 30s are way better anyway. Trust me.

Birthday hugs to you!

Anonymous said...

I love how you jump from being 30 to retirement like there's just a gaping void in between.

flap said...

Happy Birthday Kelly!